Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Kitchen Confidential Part 3

Felicia Stoler - A registered dietician, Stoler is the author of Living Skinny in Fat Genes.

Tipping Point - In my mid-twenties, I went from a size 4 to a size 8. I worked long hours at a law firm and didn't exercise, and also didn't realize that I couldn't eat and drink the way I used to in college. That bridesmaid with the chubby face in the photos at my sister's wedding? That was me. That's when I went to the doctor, worried that my big tummy was caused by an ovarian cyst. I was directed instead to a nutritionist who helped me lose 25 pounds. It's because of her that I studied nutrition instead of going to law school.

The Strategy - I have to practice what I preach. I exercise regularly, I eat a lot of fiber, and I watch my calories. I eat foods I love, but not all the time. The 100 calorie packs of chips and crackers are big in my house. Full-sized bags are too tempting!

Weight Maintenance - There comes a point where you have to start paying attention to what you're eating and how it's going to benefit you. I don't eat lots of fried foods. I don't eat mayonnaise, but I put a little hummus in chicken or tuna salad. Same texture, more protein. Instead of butter, I use Smart Balance, which has plant sterols that block the absorption of cholesterol. I pack almonds in an Altoids tin and keep fruit leathers in my purse. I pay attention to everything I drink. I cut back on alcohol, especially in the summer, because I'm tempted to drink gin and tonics. Over the years, I've fallen in an out of love with running, but now I bike or walk. My family and I almost always go for a half-hour walk after dinner.

Source: Allure

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews